Powered by Blogger.

12/27/14

Minimalism in Life & Visual Media 「極簡主義生活」

During my last month in Taiwan, I set out on my bicycle to ride a loop of this island country. I felt the freedom to move at my own pace and stop at my own will, the lightness of being in motion and the dopamine kicks of physical exertion. It was a very liberating feeling living an unrestrained yet minimalist way of life.
「在台灣的最後一月,我去騎腳踏車環島。一路上,我可以隨心所欲停止或再啟我的腳步,因為運動而散發出的多巴胺使我愉快。無拘無束的極簡生活讓我覺得好解放,好自由。」

Apart from the generosity of people who found me a place to stay at night, I relied heavily upon the ubiquitous convenience stores particularly on the west coast of Taiwan. I was living out of a small backpack and a sleeping bag. I spent more than a year out of two backpacks, a few of the items in which still remained unused.
「除了熱情當地人的幫忙以外,我依賴隨處可見的便利店,尤其是在台灣的西岸。我只有個小背包跟睡袋。事實上我住在台灣的一年這段時間裏,我連我的兩個背包裡面的東西也沒有用到。」

Taiwan is a sort of place that makes it easy to lead a minimalist way of life. A large number of public amenities that are available free of cost helps people let go of a lot of unnecessary belongings. On the other hand, in India one would need relatively large number of belongings. I find it a daunting task to go out without a bike.「秉持極簡主義的人很舒適在台灣生活。這裡便利店還有其他的免費的服務讓人不需要很多東西。反過來看,在印度我們需要比較多東西。」

Minimalism forestalls redundancy. Even in visual media a lot of information can be absorbed with little use of visual components. Design has been making use of what we see and what we do on a regular basis to make interfaces appealing. However an artificial system needs to be smart to understand minimal gestures.
「極簡主義避免冗余。在視覺媒體上,大量資訊也得以儲存於非常小零件上。設計也使得我們日常使用上的介面看起來比較友善。人造的系統必須要足以聰明到判別人的微笑的動作。」

The more you know, the less you need.「你的智慧越大需求越小。」

0 comments: