Powered by Blogger.

1/21/16

[Minimalism] We need not own everything we use

I need an umbrella only when I step out. I stop needing an umbrella as soon as step in a place with a roof. As long as I am indoors, I don't need an umbrella. I own the umbrella, but it remains unused for the most part.

I shouldn't be owning an umbrella. As soon as I step out, I should be able to pick an umbrella from a pool of available umbrellas. As soon as I reach my destination, I should be able to add it to an existing pool. I don't have to bear the burden of it when I don't need it.

Most of the things we use when outdoors have little use while we stay indoors - cars, carry bags and umbrellas for instance. But the fact that we possess such items bothers us even when they aren't being used. We shouldn't own any of these things. Like a service, they should be available on demand. 
That's a step towards a more systematic urban landscape - we should own less and use publicly shared items more. Factors like catering immediately to a demand and reducing downtime can be taken care of by efficient technology.

A functioning model hinges on two factors: trust and information. Trust is an outcome of culture. The way we receive and process information has to be revolutionized. How do I know where the nearest pool of umbrellas is? This information should be available swiftly and accurately.




0 comments: